In Science we identify, develop and assess the key skills children need to think about the world around them. Our approach reduces anxiety and increases independence, access to college courses and employability. Most students will start with the revised KS3 curriculum, proceed onto an Entry Level Science Course and then convert to a full Science GCSE when ready.
- Providing the pupils with the skills to continue learning long after they have left Oak Lodge
- developing a secure understanding in a small number of curriculum areas before progressing to the wider curriculum
- learning about science outside of the lab by exploring and using the school grounds
During year 9 some pupils start on an Entry Level Science course at Level 1 and 2 and when ready progress onto AQA’s GCSE ScienceA course in years 10 and 11. A few progress onto Additional Science.
The approach is similar to Key Stage 3 except that for some pupils formal investigation assessments will take place as part of their Entry Level Course and / or GCSE
- praising and supporting your child’s attempts to describe and explain what they have studied in Science. Please encourage them to tell the story of what actually happened in the lesson
- encouraging your child to “get ahead by getting a daily homework habit”. 10 minutes a day on the skoool web site provides a great confidence boost
- encouraging the use of the excellent furryelephant.com web site for those seeking to do GCSE
- discussing the heating and insulation in your home, the cost of heating and the electricity bill and refer to the units on the electricity meter
- encouraging your child to form opinions and justify them, remembering that the skill is more important than agreeing with their opinion!