We have a wide range of resources at Oak Lodge to enable pupils to explore technology in imaginative and creative ways. All pupils have their own user names and passwords to access their user area where they can save and retrieve their projects. They also have access to an internal email system. Our main computer suite is found in the Technology Block where there are iMacs, laptops and iPads (full size and mini) available for pupils to use. We also have a suite of PCs in the library and four caddies of laptops in school that can be booked for classroom use. The main software we use is Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe Web Premium, and Microsoft for Macs. The School also has robots for programming and learning about control and sensors. All classrooms are fitted with interactive whiteboards. Electronic safety is a priority throughout all year groups, with pupils discussing how to stay safe online, appropriate online behaviour and how to report incidents that concern them.
- learning how to behave appropriately, responsibly and safely online
- developing programming skills
- using a wide range of software, across Computer Studies and Computer Science, from animation to programming that are not readily accessible outside of school
At Key Stage 4, the Computer Studies curriculum splits into two options, dependent on the ability of the student; Functional Skills, and GCSE Computer Studies.
At GCSE level, pupils are required to work on an independent project, using Dreamweaver, and culminating in a website by the end of Year 11. This project will follow all the requirements of the examining body, Edexcel.
The Functional skills course uses some components of the GCSE syllabus, including Living in a Digital World: Let’s Communicate, and On the Move: Technology While We Travel. Pupils also build on previous control technology and E Safety knowledge.
Assessment is exam-based for Functional Skills. Coursework is 60% of the mark for GCSE, with the other 40% being a written paper under exam conditions.
Parental support is crucial to enhance pupil learning. Parents can help their child by:
- Discussing a news item with their child that involves past, present or future use of technology.
- Discussing with their child the use of social networking sites, how to behave responsibly online, and what to do if they feel bullied or worried.