Parents and Carers
Young people today are living in a rapidly changing world and so preparing our students for the challenges and opportunities out there is a vital aspect of their education. Oak Lodge School is committed to developing and arming each individual student with the most up to date research and knowledge as they progress through the different key stages.
A key element to aiding a student’s development is instilling the valuable ideals of responsibility and independence to forge their own paths forward. Working in partnership with parents, the Careers Department guides and supports students in an enthusiastic and professional relationship throughout their time at Oak Lodge School.
How can you help?
· Talk about careers regularly at home – the different jobs you may have had, how you decided on your current career path and what you have learned from all of your combined experiences.
· Share your CV and help them in producing their own. Going through the motions of detailing their skills, experiences and qualifications on paper can really help students to see their current development clearly.
· Run through typical interview questions and talk about your own encounters – both good and bad! Learning how to present themselves professionally and keeping a cool head in an interview situation is a valuable skill which will benefit them for the rest of their lives.
· Attend College and University Open Days to explore what different establishments have to offer. Prospectuses are always available but there’s nothing quite like walking around a campus to really get the feel of a place.
· Give us feedback! We are always looking to develop and evolve our careers education provision so please do get in contact if you have any comments or suggestions.